24 July 2010

Counter protest at Comic Con; or, God hates Jedi

So, the Westboro Church is protesting Comic Con this year, for "worshipping false idols." You can't make this shit up; apparently God hates geeks. So, geeks, being awesome, held a hilarious counter-protest. From Comics Alliance:
Unbeknownst to the dastardly fanatics of the Westboro Baptist Church, the good folks of San Diego's Comic-Con were prepared for their arrival with their own special brand of superhuman counter protesting chanting "WHAT DO WE WANT" "GAY SEX" "WHEN DO WE WANT IT" "NOW!" while brandishing ironic (and some sincere) signs. Simply stated: The eclectic assembly of nerdom's finest stood and delivered.

Which is the best thing ever. More pictures below the jump.

7 comments:

Meg said...

LOVE IT. God I wish I was in SD right now, all the comic-con coverage is making me jealouuss. Seriously, this is just reason #125132 why geeks are AWESOME.

Momo said...

The unfortunate thing, though, is that at one point people were yelling "You don't have to be gay to be a fag" at the WBC people. There was a lot of problematic stuff being shouted at the WBC people, though their hearts were in the right place.

Courtney said...

That's really unfortunate, Momo. But a little unsurprising.

Gayle Force said...

I still can't stop laughing every time I read about the chant, "What do we want?" "Gay sex!" Ahahahaha!

Also, I would prefer people, no matter how much their heart is in the right place, to not make shit worse, and maybe just keep their mouths quiet.

Courtney said...

It is pretty awesome, right? If I had been there, I would have recorded it and made it my voicemail message.

And I agree. The best thing to do when you can only think of offensive things to say is to shut up and let someone else do the talking. Or shouting.

Teddy Wilson said...

WBC is a constant source of ridiculousness. Although, I agree with some of the sentiments expressed in the comments. While self righteousness is gratifying, it would probably be more helpful if this lead to a larger discussion in Comic Con about systemic discrimination of GLBT people.

Kara said...

I managed to not see the protestors, because I was inside the convention center most of the time...

I have to wonder if the WBC people are simply professional protestors like the ones that exist in downtown San Jose. There's a group there - I don't know what they call themselves, but they protest every single event that takes place in the convention center, or nearby city parks.

Anime convention? Yeah. Christmas in the Park? They protest that, too. Car show? Uh-huh. Business convention? Yep, that one too.

While I love the way that sometimes people turn the protests into a joke... I also think that even when they turn it into a joke, they're giving these people what they want - attention and publicity. I always have to fight a desire to say, "Please don't feed the trolls."